Monday, February 1, 2010

Generation IM

The article from Scholastic.com first described the importance of adapting teaching to today's electronic generation. It stated that student's need to have interactive lessons to keep them interested. Also, it suggested that although it is difficult for teachers to learn and use new technologies that their are resources to make it easier.

The first part of this article told me nothing I hadn't heard before however the last part of the article had detailed creative examples of incorporating technology in the classroom. One of the examples that I will probably incorporate is to have students create their own blogs. They gave many different ways students would benefit from blogging but the one that caught my English Teaching attention was to journal. I have always wanted to have my students do a daily journal in a notebook. Some days I would allow them to write what they wanted and other days I would give them a prompt to respond to. However, now I am thinking that instead of spending five to ten minutes of class time everyday to have the students write in a physical notebook I can give them a journal prompt at the end of each class that they are to add to their blog for homework. This will be beneficial for many ways: it will allow students to write in a way that they already feel comfortable, it will make it easier on me to read and compare their work, and it will allow students to have discussions with each other on the same issues without having to take a lot of class time.

No comments:

Post a Comment