Tuesday, February 16, 2010

After the Smart Board Activities in Class

Today I learned a few things about the Smart Board. For one it can slow down the teaching processes when you are not proficient at it. However when all goes well it is a vital tool for learning in the classroom. Learning it is incredibly frustrating though. I found that students who used Smart Board features that were common and easy to use had an easier time presenting their lessons. The students that tried to use new and more difficult features had a hard time presenting their lesson since they got stuck on the technology. I do not know how I feel about the Smart Board anymore. I still think it is very fun to play with the board but I hope that the playing feature and figuring out how to use it doesn't overpower the learning. Hopefully we all become better at using the board and it enhances and not hinders our teaching. There are still many things that I do not understand about the interactive white board. There are many features I do not know how to use, and I still do not know all of the possibilities that it offers. One specific feature I would like to know how to use is having a list of students that I could click on and the board would randomly pick a student for me to call on. I really want this feature since it was difficult getting volunteers today and some students didn't participate at all.

3 comments:

  1. I agree that it can be frustrating and can slow down the teaching process, we must learn how to use it and use it when appropriate and when we want to have students interact with the content in different ways. I feel the Smart Board should be used every so often to give the students a new look on learning. I am with you though, it is frustrating and can cause for slow learning if the teacher is not 100% familiar with the technology the lesson will use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the more I play with the Smart Board the more I realize I need to learn about it. I think it is very helpful getting to see how teachers in the classroom use it to save time. I know I need to practice in order for it to save me time and not make me lose time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, I totally agree with you about it being frustrating to learn and use. I just hope that the more we get used to it, the better we become at incorporating the board into our lessons. I also agree with what you said about knowing it can be useful, however, when not used efficiently, it can take away from the class.

    ReplyDelete