Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Why I am Taking this Journey

The first day of Jr. High was a blur. I was transported to a new school with new people. There were things about Jr. High I did not understand: why I needed a locker, the A B C D grading scale, breaks in between classes, and popularity. However, there was one thing that I loved about my first day of Jr. High: my math teacher Mr. Carson. He was beautiful and tall and young, for a teacher. I had never had a male teacher before, and I certainly never had one that wasn't in their fifties gray and wore a cardigan. Mr. Carson was in his early thirties, he had light brown hair, and was in excellent physical condition. My thirteen year old self was in love, or infatuated a lot anyways. On that first day Mr. Carson gave an introduction to his class that was just like every other introduction I heard that day, and would hear for years to come, except for one thing. During that introduction he said, "I want to be the type of teacher that inspires students to become teachers." Since I was so in love with him I said to myself that I wanted to be a teacher just so he can be the type of teacher that inspires students.

That was when I first thought about being a teacher thanks to a silly childhood crush. However, that first spark to become a teacher did not stay in the crush level but turned into a passionate desire. Really I decided to be a teacher in high school after being sick of seeing the lack of good teachers at my school and the ample amounts of students falling through the cracks. Thus, in high school I decided to become a high school teacher and decided I wanted to teach English/Literature. English was one of the only classes I really enjoyed in high school thus I wanted to teach them. Up till high school English was boring because it was mostly grammar. Where as in high school I learned that English involved great novels and poetry and imagination.

So here I am nine years after that fateful day in Mr. Carson's class making my dream, and his, come true. This semester I hope that I develop skills that will be a daily help in my teaching experience and becoming Mrs. Angleton. In Technology in Education I wish to learn how to use technology in the classroom and learn how to teach around it and with it.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing the details of your story. I hope that you will be able to tell Mr. Carson that his dream has been fulfilled as you follow in his footsteps and inspire the students in your English classes. It is sad that you had so few teachers and classes that you liked in high school, but I believe that will make you a better teacher and mentor for your students.

    ReplyDelete